Monday 21 October 2013

Molten Lava Cake ~

Its my boss's birthday, I asked him what kind of birthday cake he want for this year?
He name the Molten Lava Cake. Oops... so its quite simple... but I would like have some nice decoration and see what I found... BALLOON decoration I found @ Tott Bake Store

Too bad I didnt take the photo when the chocolate lava was melting out from inside...

 
 
I learnt this recipe from Raymond Blanc, but I did some changes to suit my boss taste, you can see how he did it at the youtube below...
 
 
 
What I have followed is just the fondant part... and I learnt from Chef Raymond that you can prepare this 1 day in advance by keeping in the fridge and only bake it the next day when you are ready to serve.
 
Ingredients:
15g cocoa powder
15g caster sugar
80g good-quality dark chocolate (I used 70% dark chocolate)
80g butter
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
30g icing sugar (you can used up to 45g if you prefer sweeter fondant)
18g arrowroot (I used tapioca flour instead)

 
 
Direction
1. Grease the insides of 4 ramekin moulds (I used 6cm diameter mould) with softened butter.
 

 
2. In a bowl, mix together the cocoa powder and caster sugar until well combined. Dust the inside of the ring moulds with the mixture, shaking off any excess.
 
3. Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
 
4. Meanwhile, place the eggs and egg yolk into a bowl and whisk together until pale and fluffy.
 
5. Sift the icing sugar into the whisked eggs, whisking until well combined. Next, sift in the arrowroot and whisk until the mixture is pale, thick, has doubled in volume and the beaters leave a trail on the surface of the mixture when lifted.
 
6. Whisk the melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture until well combined.
 
7. Fill each moulds with the chocolate fondant mixture until they are three-quarters full. (I add my favourite hazelnut chocolate in the middle of the fondant as variation)
 
8. Chill the chocolate fondants in the fridge for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.
 
9. Preheat the oven to 200C/.
 
10. Transfer the chilled chocolate fondants to the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove the fondants from the oven and allow to cool.
 
11. Run a butter knife around the insides of each mould to loosen the fondants. Carefully remove the moulds.

12. To serve, dust the chocolate fondants with icing sugar and place an ice cream next to the fondant. Serve immediately.


 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Facebook Favorites More